Grandmas Original Chocolate Gravy Recipe
Since the late 1800’s this chocolate gravy recipe has been passed down from generation to generation. Originally made as a breakfast food to feed the farm workers before they headed out for a hard days work, has now become a desert dish in many high end restaurants.
Growing up as a young boy, my mother would make us chocolate gravy almost every morning before we headed off to work and school. Because it is a high calorie dish, it served as the perfect, southern breakfast meal before the farmers headed out to work, It was cheap to make and supplied enough calories to get the farmers through their morning chores.
This recipe has been in our family for several generations and decided to share it with the world. Made as a typical southern breakfast by my grandmother and mother, it would include eggs, bacon, biscuits and chocolate gravy. despite not falling under the “healthy meal” list, it was still an amazing meal to wake up to. Our kids still look forward to this yummy dish when we gather for the holidays.
Hear is how this amazing recipe goes:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs cocoa ( 3 tbs if you like it chocolatey )
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk ( whole or 2% to make it more creamy )
- 4 Tsp butter
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla
- *Mix the sugar, cocoa and milk in a mixing bowl until dissolved and set aside.
- In a large frying pan add the oil and flour creating a browned paste.
- Once browned, stir in the sugar, cocoa , milk mix.
- Keep string until it begins to thicken. You can thin it down by adding more milk if you desire.
- Turn heat down and add the butter and vanilla making sure you continue to stir another couple of min.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 2-3 min.
- serve over warm biscuits and enjoy!
This is a simple dish you can make while camping or before a day of hard labor. What ever the reason, you will enjoy this amazing, creamy, chocolate lovers dish.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $7.48Was: $9.14
* You can substitute the sugar, coca and milk for pre-made chocolate milk using the same 3/4 cup amount as regular milk.